Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday 30 October 2014

Earth Mail




Hey everyone. O man have I missed sharing with you guys. It’s been such an insane time away. I have laughed myself breathless and cried myself to sleep all in this beautiful month of October. My beautiful mom was born in October so October is a true blessing but I have to share something that’s weighing heavy on my heart right now.




I am not studying medicine or nursing but I believe that one can use whatever degree or skill to bring change to the world, even if it’s only a tiny piece of the world. I cannot tell you how emotional I have been the past week or so. First I was sick for a week. I thought it was good old flu so I hooked myself up with some over the counter stuff. Next thing, there’s a weird looking pimple close to my belly-button. So I continue on my self-diagnosis streak and decided it has to be a spider bite because something about it just didn’t look like your ordinary pimple. That night my little spider bite showed me flames, literally, an insane burn all night long. So after 2 hours of my head spinning like mad doing an assessment test the next morning, I went straight to the doctor. I asked for an appointment and the symptoms of chicken pox. To cut a long story short, I went back and turns out my self-diagnosis isn’t too shabby after all, coz I would spend the next couple of days dealing with all the heat and itch of chicken pox.


Now the pox got me acting all kinds of crazy. First came the thoughts of pain to come, that followed by the actual pain, and this brought about tons of self-pity and eventually lead to thoughts about my life, what had gone wrong, what is right and just life in general. So much to think about, with so little energy. On Day 2 of my chicken pox diaries I MAY have played Fergie’s Big Girls Don’t Cry while I cried my eyes red (you have to feel sorry for me and I said MAY have). I am going to blame the combination of exam stress and my immune system for all the drama. I actually have to mention that my little sister is in matric this year. We have always supported each other through academic stress in our own strange ways but the other day I am fighting the urge to scratch myself with every muscle in my body when she sends me a message saying, ”Sis, three mosquitoes just bit the life outta my face.” O how the desire to scratch my pox took a sharp turn to wanting to slap Awo for complaining about 3 mosquito bites when I felt like 30 mosquitoes were tap dancing in the strangest corners of my body. I would never slap my sister. She was trying to make me feel like someone was in the same boat, except she was on a yacht. Now this situation reminded me that of course chicken pox got my spirits seriously down, but there are people going through worse, much worse... all you need to do is read the news lately and your heart just breaks at the number of deaths and other tragic things happening in the world. Chicken pox was my challenge. I’m feeling a whole lot better now, I can stay awake longer than a few hours and I’m no longer itching everywhere, all the time. But I am now faced with a new challenge, getting rid of the scars.


I went to see my doctor yesterday because I really feel that I am taking long to heal (apparently I am not) but the main reason for my visit was advice on best solutions for minimal scarring. After my weekend of research I actually know a whole lot about treating chicken pox, I’m talking anti-viral, the best antihistamines and all the oils that people have tried. But I guess it’s always good to get advice from a professional. So my doctor said I could use my Bactroban as I have been but once all the blisters are dry she strongly recommends that I get Kelocote. She said,”It’s a little pricey but it works wonders with scars.”


I came home and gave my mom a ring. She told me her neighbour’s daughter has chicken pox and after a visit to the clinic, the little girl received some calamine and Panado in liquid form. Chicken pox is less severe the younger you are so I’m sure the little girl will be spotless in no time (I sure hope so). But what about adult victims of chicken pox like myself. When I heard how much I have to pay for the cream I literally said, “I don’t wanna have the poxes forever.” Which is true. So I guess I would pay regardless of the price because the cream is said to work wonders. But what about people who depend solely on what the government has to offer. This post is obviously focused on chicken pox but it got me thinking of our public health system in general. Clinics running out of pain killers. It is so sad and so wrong. A lot of progress has definitely been made but there is still huge room for improvement and this is the stuff that makes me want to study. The problems that help me out of bed when I would love to extend my nap.


We hear this quote over and over again. "Be the change you want to see in the world". But I really hope that no matter what you’re doing, that you take the time to think of your contribution to earth and what you will leave behind, otherwise... What on earth are you doing here...

Sending love and light

Xx

PS: thank you for continued viewing even in my absence. And best of luck for exams. and see you end-November again* 



No comments:

Post a Comment