Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday 24 November 2014

The Sound of Music


Pictures - Courtesy of my external 

So as time drew closer and closer to my return I started thinking of where I'd begin. From where we left-off or something completely new. First of all, so much has happened since I was blogging more regularly. Secondly, a repeat of my actions the past 3 months could possibly bore the life outta everyone following me on twitter (do the right thing btw @asilily). So while I’m dancing around my room, hair brush in hand, rollers in hair and dance moves on lock-down... it hits me. I’ve shared all sorts on Earth to Asi, but with the exception of my Blog tracks, I haven’t shown much love to a huge part of my life. Music. Let’s talk music.



With my mom’s voice booming throughout the house whenever she was home, I truly believe I stood no chance against the sound of music. We’d sing the whole way from the Transkei to the Ciskei. Everything, from S’cathamiya to the vibey tunes to Wacko Jacko. I’d later win the school idols, join a choir and enjoy some acapella action in varsity. These days though I don’t perform much (in front of an audience anyway) but I cannot get out of bed without my music. Back in High School my poor siblings didn’t need an alarm, I’d be up at 05:30 screaming, “And I want you to love me, like I never left!” My neighbours now are luckily up by the time my music starts pumping and although they’ll never admit it, I have reason to believe they actually quite enjoy my morning jams.



So 2 weeks after my wallet was stolen, someone helped him or herself to my ipod. My heart cried a little coz 1. The thought of getting around without music and 2. It was a lovely gift from one of my heart’s people. But I sorted that out last week and I have music with me wherever I go all over again. Needless to say though, leaving my room became quite an issue. Coz who wants to leave Adele’s misery behind for all sorts of whispers related to exams and predicates.


My preference has changed quite a bit over the years. There was a time I’d spend days on end rewinding my Celine Dion cassettes with a pencil. When CDs took over, Backstreet Boys and Westlife would take over and thanks to Lira and uBhut’ Ringo, I would go through a phase of all-Xhosa music. The Xhosa phase went on for quite a while until I met Caroline. Then everything changed. I will call this phase the French invasion. I was singing along without a clue. After a while I understood the stories of Gerald de Palmas and sang along to Vanessa Paradis as if I knew what she was saying. Luckily Caro had some English music as well and this was how I met some of my current favorites. Angus and Julia Stone. Imogine Heap. Colbie Caillat. Dario Marianelli. Hans Zimmer. Joshua Radin. Man if you have no clue who these people are, give them a listen and you’ll understand the obsession.
Recent occurances have now got me hooked on hip hip a little as well. The only thing with hip hop is that I don’t always approve or understand much of what is said but I’m an open-minded girl plus the music makes for really good jogging music. I could go on forever about music but we don’t want this post getting too long so I’m thinking a little monthly continuation will do the trick.




A few days ago I tweeted the Sigma – Nobody to Love video. A great song and beautiful Cape Town all in one. The song got me feeling all kinds of stuck because in a country with some of the best beaches and green forests, I ended up in a corner with neither of the two. So this ladies and gents, also serves as a little introduction to our second vacation together. From the splendour of Victoria’s falls to all that makes Cape Town the biggest (and juiciest) apple. All coz music inspires. Takes you back to incredible moments. Music will make you smile when no-one else can. Turn strangers to lifelong friends and as the past two days have proved - keep you running when your legs are giving in.

Have a lovely week everyone 
Xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment