Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday 3 December 2014

SH!T Happens



Photography by @Mizz_Daniels


You should all know by now that I'm not one to use foul language on social networks - for the sake of my younger readers and simply because I believe the English language has given us so many words that can fully express emotion without the use swear words. But after an incident this morning - there is simply no other way to write this post. Keep reading. I'm hoping my more sensitive readers will understand and will have forgiven me by the end of this post. Coz while most wouldn't consider "shit" a swear word, it is definitely vulgar and profane. Whew! Now that we have that out of the way - let us continue with this post.  So I sat down to enjoy yet another amazing breakfast at The Willows this morning. Surrounded by some incredible individuals. It was at this time that a rather large bird decided it was time to venture from the roof to a tree nearby. I am guessing we'd offered this dear bird a bit of a rude awakening because he began his escape to the gigantic tree by dropping me a warm blessing from above. 


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, second to that lovely cup of coffee and rusks received in bed this morning, I got the shock of my life when a bird shat perfectly down my back. This bird must be the Rooney of the bird kingdom. What with that perfect execution into the gap between my neck and my shirt. How's that for a birthday present? I obviously pulled all sorts of faces and went a little frantic  as Delmari reached for the deposit down my back. I guess not even the village girl in me was ready for that. My shock went from strange faces to ridiculous laughter as I raced to the ladies room. I thought back to a special boat trip with Jarryd and Caroline where the same blessing fell upon Jarryd. I had laughed so hard I choked on my oyster. Just goes to show; what goes around indeed comes around. 
The second thought that came to mind was just how fitting the birdy situation was to a conversation we had yesterday based on a piece from Marilynne Robinson's The First Church. 

“The sun had come up brilliantly after a heavy rain, and the trees were glistening and very wet. On some impulse, plain exuberance, I suppose, the fellow jumped up and caught hold of a branch, and a storm of luminous water came pouring down on the two of them, and they laughed and took off running, the girl sweeping water off her hair and her dress as if she were a little bit disgusted, but she wasn’t. It was a beautiful thing to see, like something from a myth. I don’t know why I thought of that now, except perhaps because it is easy to believe in such moments that water was made primarily for blessing, and only secondarily for growing vegetables or doing the wash. I wish I had paid more attention to it. My list of regrets may seem unusual, but who can know that they are, really. This is an interesting planet. It deserves all the attention you can give it.”

"Perhaps because it is easy to believe in such moments that water was made primarily for blessing." Such beautiful imagery of water. Of blessing from above. Of course it would have been lovely if the bird sent water flying down my back but where I come from, I still received a wonderful blessing this morning. And what better day to receive such a blessing. Today I am older than I was yesterday. In fact, I am the oldest that I have ever been. I cannot tell you how often people make use of the term "shit happens" when things don't go according to plan. But today I am so grateful that regardless of the lemons life has thrown my way, I wake up every morning with reason, reasons, to smile. And I can only hope that in years to come, regardless of what life may throw (or drop) my direction, that I may never lose my smile. 







A friend of mine wrote, "This is probably the 1500 sms you receive today to say happy birthday!! Eheh :D Enjoy the party." 

He is one of my sillier (and wonderful) friends so I expected nothing but something like that from him. I'm not too concerned about the number of messages I receive on my birthday. It's the quality of the messages that matters most. Sitting here, reading all my messages and thinking back to all the calls. I am just so unbelievably happy with the kind of people I surround myself with. You inspire me. You challenge me. You make this earth what it is to me. Thank you so much for taking the time to wish me well on my special day because Asi Day wouldn't be what is it without you. 


See you soon 

xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment