Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday 4 August 2014

Gold Skies



Photographer - Marelize Smit

When I got onto the boat that day I had no idea it was the beginning of one of my long-lived obsessions. My friend and I had booked the “Booze Cruise” for some sun downers in a boat in the Zambezi River where our mischievous tour guide had promised us the best sunset in Africa. I had seen many a sunset before this day but never gave the beauty of the setting sun the admiration it deserves. And since that day I have been clicking away at sunsets and sunrises out of pure gratitude for their physical beauty and the representation of an ending and new beginning.  So for this week’s post I thought I’d take advantage of one of nature’s most beautiful displays in a field not too far from where I stay.



When we got to the field there were a few young lads roaming about on four-wheelers and scooters. And while we clicked away finding foot in ditches and unstable stones, I thought, it is so lovely to see people who take the time to get out of the city and enjoy their little piece of nature. The little pleasures in life, only a 10 minute drive away from all the buzz and Whatsapp messages.  


I grew up in a tiny little town in the Eastern Cape and when I wasn’t in my dear hometown I was roughing it up in rural Transkei with my cousins. So while I do enjoy a loud night out on the town every now and again, my heart has always felt at home in the tranquillity and scenic beauty of untainted nature.










My make-up was inspired by none other than... the setting sun. A crazy no-mirror challenge in the car, all in the spirit of chasing the sun before it dipped behind the horizon. And while I am crazy about my faux fur vest, a beautiful gift from a beautiful friend, my favourite item in this look has to be my two bracelets, hand-made by my grandfather. I have been wearing my grass bracelets for years now. I love them because often they are all the inspiration I need to push myself a step further by simply reminding me where I come from and the love that awaits me at home. The winning reason of course, being that my ol’ man makes these beauties from grass, with his own two hands, just for me (I take it you’ve figured how much I love uTamkhulu wam by now).








I remember a time I owned one trench coat and was forced to walk around looking like I’d robbed an old man’s wardrobe, with mismatched jerseys and jackets, just to stay warm. I’d moved from a rather warm town to an incredibly cold city. I spent half of winter in my warm dressing gown and the other half was spent waiting for spring to make an appearance. Over the past couple of years I’ve learned a few “hot” tricks and trends and I actually believe that I will miss winter and its trends once the birds start chirping and the flowers start blooming.


Have a hot week all Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment