Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday 18 August 2014

Zambia | New Adventures




I reckon it’s about time! About time I shared some of my travel experiences. A single picture can tell a thousand words but sometimes, only sometimes, pictures fail to reveal all the drama behind the snap. So while there will definitely be pictures in these travel posts, there will be a whole lot more reading than going through pictures. So grab a cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of wine if you may and feast your eyes on my first flight out of South Africa to beautiful Zambia.





In blogs to come I will be suggesting  several affordable accommodation options in the different countries that I have visited but what I would like to highlight regarding most of the places where I have stayed is that; choosing the more affordable option does not always mean that you will not receive the best quality. It is usually a matter of booking at the right time – the early bird will always catch the worm. 




Jollyboys Backpackers in Zambia, for instance, was one of the best places I’ve stayed at. You can’t put a price on meeting fellow travellers who are also looking to make the most of their money while enjoying the most of what a country has to offer.While we’re on the money topic I would just like to mention that when my friend drew money for the first time in Zambia she lost her bank card thanks to an overwhelming number on 0s on the ATM screen. We saw an option to draw 90 000 kwacha and we weren’t quite sure whether to draw 90 000 or 900 000 to sustain us for the weekend. We didn’t want to be drawing money time after time coz we didn’t know how many ATMs we’d find in the little town in Livingstone and also just to avoid bank charges  – swiping facilities can also prove to be quite a problem (more on this in the Tanzanian trip). Do yourself a favour and familiarise yourself with the currency in your destination and basic living standards; being a millionaire at such speed and with so much ease has its disadvantages.









Staying at Jollyboys also had the added benefit of free transport from the airport along with cool suggestions and warnings for a fruitful stay in Zambia. On arrival we’d traded our passports for a lock and adapter – hehe – don’t be freaked out at all by this concept... No-one is looking to steal your identity – I guess that’s just what happens when one too many locks and adapters go missing. The smart thing to do of course would be to take your own.

The facilities offered several different rooms at varying costs – from campsites to thee most adorable honeymoon suits. If you are travelling from overseas I am almost certain that you will be taking some malaria medication before and during your stay. Now I would just like to say that you can take all the medication you want but if you’re not going to book the room with mosquito nets in Summer – then you might as well leave your malaria pills behind. No. I’m kidding.  Well, sort of kidding. It shouldn’t be so bad but very few things annoy me more than the buzzing of mozzies. The bites leave awful marks on my skin so I have always booked the rooms with mosquito nets and AIR CONDITIONING.

I will add a link to Jollyboys backpackers and if you’ll join me on my vacation in Namibia, I will introduce you to a backpackers working very closely to Jollyboys in beautiful Swakopmund.
And now for the reason for the season (You will have to excuse my rhyming habit I can’t tell stories without throwing-in a rhyme every now and again). I also grant myself some poetic right from time to time – making up my own words. But in the spirit of getting to the point... Ladies and gentlemen The majestic Victoria Falls - the world's largest sheet of falling water.















When my Geography teacher used to tell us about the falls back in high school - I never imagined myself ever seeing them somewhere either than a textbook. But there I was, standing before the “Mosi-oa-Tunya” (Smoke that thunders). The Victoria Falls are approximately 10km away from the Livingston city centre and there are always blue cabs available at affordable prices. It would be wise to check the prices from the receptionist of your chosen accommodation to avoid being over-charged. I’d suggest you do this in general when traveling. You could also save a few thousand kwacha by taking your own raincoat.


A member of staff kindly offered to take us on a guided tour – my advice to you: unless you plan on participating in one of the activities offered by the waterfalls, there is no need for a guide. The map provided online or at the entrance is more than enough.


Now this here is one of my favourite souvenirs from Zambia – I made use of the instant tailoring service offered by one of the local ladies. I bought the fabric with the Zambian print from the buzzing market . I was measured that morning. A few hours later it was time to leave Zambia, my skirt was ready and it fit like a glove, okay maybe not like a glove but it's a good fit.

One of the really beautiful and unexpected things that I experienced in Zambia was attending one of the locals’ church services. It would take some great knock to the head for me to ever forget it. At first my friend and I had been quite hesitant to enter but after a little while we were clapping away and trying to mimic the unknown hymns. I had found myself so touched by the faith of people who lived in such defeating circumstances and while I had no idea what they were saying in their prayers – I had hoped with everything in me that those prayers would come true.


I hope you’ll join me in my next travel post and of course that you enjoyed this one. I'll be sharing the best sunset in Africa from something called a "The Booze Cruise". 

Have an amazing week guys 
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment