Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday 21 April 2014

Thabazimbi | Safari


Thanks to Rhapsody, we woke up bright and early with all the energy in the world. And after quick showers for some and no showers for others and too many muffins we were on the road again – this time to Thabazimbi.


Signal was quite an issue on the way but we did manage to post some road trip selfies on Instagram – no weekend is complete without some excessive hashtagging right?


We had to make a little pit stop in Bela-Bela for groceries. We’d made a basic list on the way so we pretty much knew exactly what we wanted. You would think that would make things go a little quicker. It took us AGES! Simple things like 2% low fat, low fat or full cream. Or better yet, brown, white or low GI bread then we end up buying wraps. This was quite rough for me coz I actually buy the same groceries from month to month – when it comes to buying food I’m quite a mean machine, walk-in, walk-out.


But I have to admit - I did add a little to the delay when I found a biltong store just outside Pick ‘n Pay. That stuff was criminal!


A few hours later, we were in serene Thabazimbi. Now I have to say that I am actually seriously proud of us for making it to Jade’s place without getting lost – well done to Jade for some mighty good directions. We destroyed Tim’s birthday cake immediately on arrival and after some chit-chat it was SAFARI TIME! 







Jade has always been the definition of hardcore. My dear bestfriend had a bit of an accident with a block and tackle- a mechanism where you use a chain to pull heavy things – while pulling a vehicle out the mud (seem like quite the expert there don’t I?). But despite all of that, she drove us around all weekend and continued as if nothing had happened.










We went on several game drives that weekend. Learning all sorts from our beautiful guide. Did you know that there are spiders that produce a golden web? The thread from these spiders is not just a lovely golden colour, it is also incredibly strong. This was definitely a first for me.




And out of all the beautiful creatures we saw the weekend. My favourite was the Jd animal. The love I have for this girl. 







We drove quite a distant looking for game, some hide better than others. And as we drove I was reminded of a beautiful quote from Barry Finlay where he says 
“Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.”
I just thought of the numerous lessons one can learn from something as simple as a game drive. The importance of protecting yourself from harm, protecting those around you from enemies and keeping a balance in order to ensure growth.


No comments:

Post a Comment