Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday 28 April 2014

Thabazimbi | Accommodation



Now I bet this is not what one would expect to find when someone tells you you’ll be staying in a tent for the weekend.



This was by far the best surprise this weekend. We were armed with blow-up mattress, air pump and all after Jade told me we’d be staying in a tent on the hill. What she may have forgotten to mention was that this was no ordinary tent. Not one of those amazing 2-man tents we’d used over and over growing up. I also should have probably guessed that a lodge wouldn’t let its guests actually bustle it out in the wild.


The last time I spent an evening in a tent was during my stay in Sossusvlei, Namibia. There we were dismantling our dear tent when next thing we see is a lovely scorpion with its intimidating tail curved beautifully above his back. Now if you have read The Pearl, you will understand why I haven’t been so keen on evenings spend in a tent.


The minute we knew we’d be spending the weekend in Thabazimbi I went on full-on bundu-bashing mode. I was ready to hunt, build fires til my eyes poured with tears and of course, stand under a rusty showerhead waiting for the next drop of water in an attempt for some basic hygiene. See my imagination does tend to go slightly over-board at times.


Life in the wild has changed quite a significant bit since I last enjoyed it, clearly. Because, instead of the primitive situation I’d prepared myself for, this is what we got.








I genuinely couldn’t stop smiling at the sight of this tent. This was EXACTLY what I needed. After a few days in the tent I can now earnestly say that bathrooms with a view of nature are by far one of my favourite things. 



As if the tent with my favourite bathroom and cosy braai area were not enough, only a few steps away was a tiny little deck. Our deck overlooked acres and acres of  land and from here you had the best view of the sun as it set behind the hills in the most beautiful combination of reds, orange and yellow.


 


I hope you've enjoyed my time away as much I enjoyed sharing it with you. The feedback has definitely inspired me to do more of these travel posts - so let's see where the road leads us next. 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment