Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday 14 June 2014

The wheels on the bus



See now I have actually become quite a pro packer. I remember a time I used to take an entire suitcase just for a weekend away – full of a whole lot of items I wouldn’t even use. Back then my excuse was that you never know what you’ll need. These days I plan my outfits in advance and just take an extra outfit, coz truth is, you really never know.

Only issue is that I have the suitcase full of clothes and toiletries, my laptop has its own bag, my camera its own bag and well I can’t go anywhere without a handbag so I do end up carrying a whole lot of bags. This time I also had to deal with my pillow and towel/blankie (my towel fits comfortably inside my pillow case when I don’t need to use it and it gives my legs all the warmth they need when it gets a little chilly). Hehe I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the ladies who helped me deal with all this luggage throughout the trip.



My university can be pretty cool at times. The University of the Free State took care of our travel and accommodation costs – breakfast included. Last time I travelled in a huge group was back in primary and we’d always sleep in dorms on rock-hard beds. Not this time. This time I enjoyed all the comforts of a Road Lodge. As if that wasn’t enough, from my breakfast table I had the amazing view of the ocean and the pier in Port Elizabeth. 

The breakfast was divine. The thing with low expectations is that when something does turn out well, it seems even more awesome than it probably is. So the breakfast may have been okay but never the less, protein and fruits are what keep me going.  It doesn’t matter which side of the bed I wake up on, if I’m gonna be served eggs, bangers and ham followed by a fruit salad  topped with some vanilla yoghurt, then I’m obviously in my happy place. I had some insane feasts at breakfast.
  
From the Road Lodge you are a 5 minute walk from the Broadwalk and if the robot is red, 5 minutes to Barney’s. This meant we had all the entertainment we needed at our doorstep. Monday night we were all pretty exhausted from too many hours in the bus. Although, we did take a few loo breaks along the way and the mandatory snack stop at Nanara. So we made our way to Barney’s for a chilled supper. Cheska and I decided we wouldn't get anything to eat coz we’d gone a little over-broad with pre-supper snacks. We ended up being the evening’s scavenges, tasting fellow students’ creamy spinach to sharing the yummiest slices of pizza.  



I didn't even know PE had the "dancing fountain". I never get tired of this stuff. 

Thanks to the sea-food special at Barney’s, I spent most of Tuesday daydreaming about mussels. Get there and the mussels are finished but all disappointment was cancelled-out by all the crazy fun we had with all the folk singing their hearts out at karaoke. We opted for some sushi  Wednesday night and hit Gondwana by storm later that evening. 

The next couple of posts will deal with the businesses that we visited. This was an educational trip after all. So stick around, I have so me interesting facts to share. 

Xx



No comments:

Post a Comment