Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday 6 July 2014

Port Elizabeth | A Sheepish Goodbye



Another early morning after a late late night. The last morning in PE was one huge rush. After struggling to get out of bed I had to deal with the packing I should've taken care of the night before and before breakfast I squeezed in a quick visit from Dadddy.


The chosen company for the day was CMW (Cape Mohair & Wool).  We learned a great deal about the auctions, the logistics and obviously, the grading of both wool and mohair. There was one bag of mohair that was expected to sell at R1000.00 per kg. I had quite a Proudly South African moment when I heard of all the places our good quality wool and mohair was being sent. From some larney clothing stores across the country to hitting Italian runways. South Africa is actually responsible for half the total world production of quality mohair.










After all the serious stuff was dealt with, we all received a goodie bag and even a cute pink cap for the girls and a manly one for the guys. All in all, it was an “educationally cute” visit (that probably had something to do with the sheep imagery running through my mind throughout the tour). I actually had several thoughts in my mind while we walked around the factory.

 The first being of one of Jade’s birthday parties that we actually celebrated in her sheep shed at home. Jade had had this grand idea of doing something very “farmy” for her birthday and despite a few people’s concern about ticks and so on, we’d spent the evening of Jade’s birthday cuddled up, in sleeping bags, on the floor, IN THE SHEEP SHED. Secondly, I thought of the contribution that my little hometown makes to the Mohair industry thanks to the Dohne Marino – proud moment I tell you.

Feels like SOOO many years ago

The tour definitely ended way to soon. The problem with the tour was that it put my mind in serious holiday-mode. And unfortunately, on our return most of us had to deal with a lengthy business plan that was to be submitted a few days later. But I am pretty sure that all the fun will resume from the great pause beginning of next semester. Haha, after all the crazy things that went down, the second semester is bound to be an interesting one. 

Have a lovely week everyone 
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment