Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Sushi



Those who follow me on both Twitter and my Facebook page would've noticed my excitement for supper with Lien last Friday. I am a little sushi obsessed and if my wallet allowed it, I'd probably be addicted to sushi. But this was no ordinary sushi evening, this was a vegan sushi evening.


The evening started-off with an out of this world pea and mint soup. I'm sure some of you are pulling some or other “meh” face at the thought of those two ingredients together but trust me, this stuff was absolutely divine. And for me naturally, when someone goes far and beyond my expectations, I can't help but be extremely impressed and and a little chuffed.

I went to Lien's expecting to mess things up a little with my non-existent sushi-making skills. Get there, the sushi's already done, pea and mint soup ready to be served and she's already made some of the best pine, orange and ginger juice.





Beginning of the year I actually asked Lien what she eats - being on a vegan diet sounded a little limiting to me. She had shared a few recipes and products with me and I'd been utterly impressed by her knowledge and interest in her new lifestyle. My close friends know that I love meat, from breakfast to supper, but this year I have been challenging myself to think outside the box when it comes to food. I still enjoy my steaks and biltong but there are days that I opt for some eggs instead of that chicken breast (not that great an improvement on vegan standards but a giant leap for me). I am very open to new ideas and I would like to encourage you all to go out and do the same.

I could spend an entire year eating pretty much the same stuff; cereal for breakfast, a protein and two veggies for lunch and something light for supper. I even used the same spices for 3 years. Nowadays I ask. O I ask a whooole lot of questions about flavours, textures and some interesting alternatives . And while people always think eating healthier food is boring and bland, a little research will show you that you can honestly spice things up the healthy way.

One very interesting thing Lien shared with me earlier in the year was that long ago people lived on vegetables and fruit throughout the year. Those people only ate meat in dry seasons when their stored vegetable and fruit supply had run-out. She also had a very interesting theory about interference with the chicken's menstrual cycle.

I've learned a great deal from Lien, all in the spirit of simply knowing more and experimenting coz I can. If you haven't hit “Like” on my Facebook page yet, follow the link in the navigation bar and while you're there visit Lien's page Eat lotsa fruit (I will add the link below) and just “Like” it coz you CAN and have absolutely nothing to lose.

Bye guys** And as banana girl always says...

Go Fruit Yourself ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment