Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday 27 September 2014

EXtravaganza



I can’t believe 2 years have already passed since I attended my last extravaganza. An evening of lights, camera and tons of action from both the professional and our mighty talented Kovsies amateurs. The highlight of the evening of course- greeting the beautiful Zahara just as she was about to leave Callie.



Greeting Zahara took me back to my groupie tendency days. I don’t know how many of you remember uNtando.... that handsome man with his linen pants and swinging dreadlocks. So Ntando came to my hometown when I was muuuch younger – back in the days when even R50 was an issue – so I didn’t have money to watch Ntando’s show. But I was determined to meet Ntando, despite my lack of finances. I’d decided that I WILL meet this man and he WILL greet me.



As luck would have it, African time helped the show start a lot later than it ought to, forcing Mrs Pretorius to get back to her kids at home, leaving me with her ticket to enjoy an evening of,”Haibo ndiyamthanda, haibo ndiyamthanda, haibo nd’athanda bo...” I was singing along, screaming along and I still remember spending the entire evening trying to get over how lucky I had been and how incredibly happy I was listening  to him serenading ME.


After the show I’d greeted Ntando and he’d shook my hand  and in Xhosa he had asked if I was well  – ever so gently. Luckily, even at that tender age I realised that refraining from washing my hand was a bit yuck and writing this I cannot believe how much of that evening I actually still remember – Some of my girls had taken pictures of Ntando’s shoe on the monitor  while he performed– Mxit went viral with that stuff (thank goodness people grow).The power of an old flame... Completely side-tracked by uNtando but yes, Extravaganza 2012 brought us the lovely Zahara and her guitar – and what a lovely evening it was.






So the reason all these thoughts came flooding to my mind today is that tonight is Extravaganza 2014 and this year one of my fav of favourites will be reminding me just why I love them so much. Tonight, The Soil is in town! Have I mentioned that I loooove The Soil? So after some fun times dolling up with the girls, I will be off to enjoy their melodic harmonies and Xhosaness.




I was going through the pictures from that evening in 2012 and seeing Thati next to me in the pictures just reminds me how things so often change, yet stay the same. I have realised, a lot more now than before, that I do value a certain level of consistency, especially when it comes to friends and relationships. But back to tonight, I plan on doing  a whole lot of sing-along and with Thati and Ona, I just know I won’t be singing along alone.

Wishing you a lovely Saturday all.


“Celebrate humanity and when you love, love unconditionally.” 
                                                                                                                                                           The Soil

No comments:

Post a Comment